This cake's frosting surpasses any other icing I've tasted! It's time intensive but so worth it in the end.
To make this cake I used gluten free cake mix for the cake (enhancing it by adding an additional egg, using melted butter instead of oil, and using milk instead of water.)
Here is the recipe for the icing! from addapinch.com
Salted Buttercream Frosting Recipe
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup Crisco vegetable shortening
- ½ cup butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup butter
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
Salted Caramel Buttercream Recipe
- Add all ingredients from the first stage of the frosting recipe in a 3-4 quart pot. Stir ingredients with a wooden spoon as cooking over medium-low heat.
- Cook to softball stage (235-245 degrees on a candy thermometer as well as using the cold water test).
- Remove from heat and pour into a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Using a whip attachment, whip the caramel until it has cooled enough to touch lightly.
- Add the butter and salt from the second stage of the frosting recipe to the mixing bowl and whip.
- Add confectioner’s sugar in ½ cup increments, stopping after each to scrape sides of mixing bowl. Turn mixer onto high for about 10 seconds after each addition to incorporate air into the frosting.
- Adjust the amount of confectioner’s sugar to result in a frosting that will hold it’s shape.
- Frost cake and store on a cake plate covered with a dome or an airtight container.
- Best served within 1-3 days.